Hogan's Alley

Friday, December 29, 2006

2006 Movie Top Ten Lists 1.0

'Tis the season for the publication of 10 Best Lists for just about every form of commercial art. As a film junkie, I confess to a peculiar fascination with the End-of-movie-season rituals. As it does each year, the ritual begins with the announcement of the Golden Globe Awards nominations by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

The second rite in the annual sacramental honoring of the humble efforts of the movie industry begins to appear about this time each year. It is the naming of Top Ten lists, and occasionally Worst Ten lists. Nicole Belle at Crooks and Liars has a handy set of links to those released so far.

As for my opinion, because of the industry's annual insistence on holding back the best movies until December, I have not yet had the opportunity to see many of the likely candidates, such as Flags Of Our Fathers, Letters From Iwo Jima, Dreamgirls, etc. So for now I'll hold off and stick in my two cents worth in a few weeks when I've seen all the candidates.

Labels: ,