Hogan's Alley

Monday, August 09, 2010

Corrine Baily Rae, My Current Obsession

For the last few weeks, I haven't been able to get the songs from Corinne Bailey Rae's latest album, "The Sea" out of my head.  It didn' t help that PBS recently played her performance of most of the album on their Live From the Artist's Den series.  (See photo at right)

Do yourself a favor and get hold of this album.  It will touch your heart and rock your socks off at the same time.

During the early stages of putting this album together, Corinne's husband, Jason Rae, died of a methadone overdose.  That tragic loss informs many of the tracks and their minor keys.  At the same time, the feel of the album is a bit harder and "rockier" than her debut album.  All together, one of the great albums of the year.  Although, beware.  I am so taken by her as a performer that I may have lost my objectivity.

Judge for yourself.  Here is her video for, "I'd Do It All Again", the song that most directly references her passage through her grief.  I get chills every time I hear the pain and triumph in her voice.


Labels: , , , , ,